Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently Asked Questions
This page also serves as an addendum/particularization of our Terms of Service. Please read it in its entirety.
With Complete Optimization, we make your WordPress-powered website as fast as it can possibly be, for everyone, everywhere and at all times, thereby providing your site’s users with an optimal user experience. The performance architecture we implement for your site will be robust, self-maintaining, self-evolving and as automatic as possible so you can move on with the business of publishing content.
We very highly recommend you only ever pick À La Carte if you are unconcerned with post-project support (since it doesn’t come with any) and are supremely confident in your choice(s). Further, Complete Optimization is always the best value, even if you have had someone optimize your website in the past, have optimized it yourself, or genuinely believe you only need some specific optimization performed.
With Complete Optimization, we implement every conceivable best practice possible. We further re-work your site’s entire performance architecture to be a lean, mean, speed machine; and, introduce custom fine-tuning that can only be found with WpFASTER’s Complete WordPress Speed Optimization service. In short, once your Complete WordPress Optimization project is complete it will literally be impossible for your website to be any faster.
Some combination of the following will be needed to implement the performance architecture we devise for your website (your project manager will let you know exactly in the email you will receive after ordering):
- Administrator-level WordPress login credentials (username and password).
- If applicable to your project: Hosting account login credentials (username and password).
- If applicable to your project and if you have cPanel: cPanel login credentials (username and password).
- If applicable to your project and if you have cPanel with WHM: WHM login credentials (login URL, username and password).
- If applicable to your project: FTP login credentials (host, username, password and port).
- If applicable to your project: CloudFlare (or Sucuri, etc) login credentials (username and password. If you do not have a CloudFlare account we can set one up for you).
- If applicable to your project: Secondary CDN (e.g. MaxCDN) login credentials (username and password).
Note: All credentials you provide to us are deleted from our server upon project completion. Once your project is completed, you are also encouraged to change any passwords you have provided to us. Before providing us with the login credentials we request, please make sure to test them to make sure they work. If you send us login credentials that do not work your project will be delayed by at least one business day; and, if you did not elect Expedited or Rush delivery, will likely return your project to the back of our project queue.
Needing some or all of the above credentials is standard fare. These would be something needed by any company, entity or person you would be interested in having perform any sort of development work for your website. As such, if you are not willing to provide us with any or all of these credentials you should not place the order. Refusal to provide us the login credentials we request in your Order Confirmation email, or at any point while your project is in process, automatically renders a project ineligible for refund/our guarantee.
Sam or Marcus, WpFASTER’s Project Management Leads only.
Under certain conditions, AJ, WpFASTER’s Managing Partner, may need access to these credentials too.
All credentials you provide us are deleted from our server upon project completion. Once your project is completed, you are further encouraged to change any passwords you provide us.
We use Comet Cache on every Complete Optimization project and very highly recommend the ‘Pro’ version of the plugin. Barring exceedingly few exceptions, if you are purchasing Complete WordPress Speed Optimization, and if your site utilizes a caching engine other than Comet Cache, it will be replaced.
We also use CloudFlare (free version) on every Complete WordPress Speed Optimization project. If you are not currently making use of CloudFlare you will need to open a CloudFlare account and transfer your nameservers to theirs. Doing so is easy, straightforward and painless, but we are happy to do this for you if you prefer: Just choose that option when making your selections on the order form.
We should note, the additional features offered for the paid version ($20/month for the ‘Pro’ account) are well worth the money. So, if the expense is justifiable, we do recommend a paid CloudFlare account. We can open but cannot set up a paid account for you, though, you will need to do this.
Regardless of whether or not you choose the free or paid version of CloudFlare, however, if you are purchasing Complete WordPress Speed Optimization (or CloudFlare Installation and Configuration as an À La Carte option), we (or you, if applicable) will be changing your current nameservers to CloudFlare’s, which is necessary to receive all of the benefits CloudFlare has to offer.
NOTE: If you are using Sucuri, we cannot implement CloudFlare. If, when ordering, you elect for us to implement CloudFlare and are using Sucuri, you must remove Sucuri from your site. If Sucuri is still active at the time we confirm your order, the CloudFlare fee paid will instead be applied to testing and optimal configuration of Sucuri’s cloud proxy feature.
Of course! But, not allowing us to implement CloudFlare is by definition a special restriction and will render your project ineligible for our guarantee as your site will not end up as fast as it otherwise would have, even if you are using some other CDN (MaxCDN, etc) or something like Sucuri.
If you do not want CloudFlare, please select “No, thank you” when you get to the “Do We Need to Setup Your CloudFlare Account?” portion of the order form.
You have been sent an automated email of your receipt/invoice from [email protected], so be sure to check your SPAM folder for that if it didn’t go to your inbox.
If it has been more than 24 of our business hours (Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Eastern Standard Time) since you’ve ordered and you’ve yet to receive an Order Confirmation email from your Project Manager, please check your SPAM folder and be sure to add [email protected] to your email’s contacts or you might not receive our correspondences to your inbox.
Please also be sure to fill out the “Secondary Email Address” portion of the order form when ordering; this email address should be a standard Gmail, Outlook, Hotmail, Yahoo! (etc) email address, not associated with your website/domain/server. If after 2 (two) business days we receive no response to your Order Confirmation email, your Order Confirmation email will be forwarded to the secondary email address you provide on the order form.
We promise, we respond to all inquires from prospective, active and recently active clients no matter what. So, please check your SPAM folder and be sure to add [email protected] to your email’s contacts or you might not receive our correspondences to your inbox.
If you have done this and are still not receiving our responses, you almost certainly have a DNS issue, an SMTP issue, or, a misconfiguration of your server-side email SPAM filter.
If you are not receiving our responses (or are only receiving some of our responses), please try contacting us from a standard Gmail, Outlook, Hotmail, Yahoo! (etc) email address, not associated with your website/domain/server.
Siteground will migrate your site for free (the process is all very hassle- and stress-free); and, should you purchase your new Siteground account through either of the above links, we’re happy to optimize all performance-related aspects of your new Siteground account as part of your optimization project at no additional charge.
As far as page caching plugins, we very highly recommend Comet Cache Pro! Other forms of caching we may implement depend on your site’s needs and hosting environment.
- If you follow our recommendation and opt for Comet Cache Pro, and your site is on NGINX, we may need you to make an adjustment to your NGINX Config file (but probably not). We do not login to servers and therefore will not make this adjustment for you (in the off chance one needs to be made).
It depends. Our first and foremost goal is to provide you with the fastest possible version of your website. As such, how long it will take for us to complete the optimization is relative to the size and complexity of your WordPress website. Generally speaking, the smaller it is and the less complex it is the quicker we can get things done.
How long it will take is also relative to just how much we will need to communicate with you over the course of the project; and, if Expedited or Rush Delivery is not purchased, your project’s position in our queue.
The short answer is: Unless you have purchased Expedited or Rush Delivery, we do not guarantee any time frames other than to say the amount of time it will take to complete the project will be relative and reasonable.
Even Expedited or Rush Delivery, however, might experience delays if changes are requested mid-project or things arise that are outside of our control. In the event that we are not able to meet the Expedited or Rush Delivery (3-business-day and 1-business-day, respectively) project completion guarantee, and we are squarely at fault, this fee will be refunded to you. We reserve the right to define when this has occurred and by placing an order you agree to these terms.
We are all but certain to improve them (happens right around 92% of the time), but no, that is not our guarantee.
Such tools are what is referred to as general “Best Practices” tools. As tools they have their place and we do indeed implement all best practices that are possible to implement; but, these tools are not real world performance testing platforms nor can they ‘know’ which of their recommendations are ultimately actionable or for the best. All Best Practices tools are in some way synthetic, purposefully oversimplify the nature of performance optimization for ease of use by the layman; and, are not intended to provide accurate, actual, real-world performance diagnostic metrics.
As confusing as it might seem, a site’s grades on Best Practices tools and its actual, real-world performance are often two very different things. Indeed, it is even possible for your website to get considerably faster in real life but score worse on Best Practices tools; or, score higher on such tools and end up with a site that is considerably slower in real life if not completely broken. Since real-world performance is what matters, WpFASTER optimizes for the real human beings visiting your website, not an arbitrary grade/score that, absent a complete rebuild of your site from the ground up, may be impossible for your website to achieve. As described on our homepage, we concentrate on real-world, user-experience-centered performance metrics that Best Practices tools don’t analyze because that’s not what they are for.
For testing purposes, we primarily use our own in-house tools and worldwide network of real, human users. Should you choose Enhanced Reporting when ordering, you will be provided with real before-and-after performance benchmarks garnered by way of Google’s own real-world performance optimization testing platform Webpagetest.org, so that you have an independent, objective, empirical means by which to verify the improvements we report.
- Since grades/scores on Best Practices tools are not what WpFASTER does or sells, post-project complaints about grades/scores on Best Practices tools going down, remaining the same, or not going as high as one had hoped they might will in all likelihood not be responded to.
- Since grades/scores on Best Practices tools are not what WpFASTER does or sells, grades/scores on Best Practices tools going down, remaining the same, or not going as high as one had hoped they might are not grounds for a refund.
- If what you are primarily looking for is better grades/scores on Best Practices tools, not the fastest possible version of your website for your website’s actual users, WpFASTER is not what you are looking for and you should not place the order.
The performance optimization architecture we implement will be designed to be self-evolving and self-maintaining. As such, it will last indefinitely. If you’ve purchased Complete WordPress Speed Optimization, you are entitled to free, post-project support for 1 calendar month past your date of purchase in the event that the project meets all conditions for free post-project support.
Note: Our prices are as low as they are relative to what we do for your site because free post-project support (and free support in general) has a limited scope. Free, 1-month post-project support (or 3 month Extended Support, if purchased) covers three things and is diagnostic in nature, not necessarily curative (i.e. you may be charged for the actual fix):
- Issues with plugin updates that seem to not work with the performance architecture we have implemented.
- Issues with theme updates that seem to not work with the performance architecture we have implemented.
- Issues with WordPress updates that seem to not work with the performance architecture we have implemented.
If you make changes to your site that invalidate the structure of the optimization work we have performed you will need to repurchase an optimization package. If you were to change your theme or have development performed for your site after we complete our work, as two examples; if you in any way alter the performance architecture we have implemented as another.
If you make a valid support request you will be asked for a comprehensive description of any and all changes that have been made to your website since your project was completed. If you are unable or unwilling to provide this, it is highly unlikely that we will be able to provide diagnostic support, at least not for free.
The specific caveats to free, post-project support are:
- In order for a project to be eligible for any post-project support (free or paid, i.e. Extended) beyond 3 (three) calendar days from the time stamp on your Project Completion email, the project site must be running the latest version of WordPress with all installed plugins and the theme it is using up to date at the time the project begins.
- If the project site is not running the latest version of WordPress and/or some installed plugins and/or the theme it is using are not up to date at the time the project begins, you have 3 (three) calendar days from the time stamp on your Project Completion email to report any anomalies you believe to be caused by the performance architecture we have implemented; after 3 calendar days, should we choose to attempt to investigate the issue, you will be charged a minimum $100 USD diagnostic fee for us to investigate. Project sites that are not running the latest version of WordPress and/or some installed plugins and/or the theme they are using are not up to date at the time the project begins otherwise come with no guarantee, warranty, right to refund or (free) post-project support.
- If you elect Extended support and the project site is not running the latest version of WordPress and/or some installed plugins and/or the theme it is using are not up to date at the time the project begins, the Extended support fee will be used to cover the the cost of the first post-project inquiry/diagnostic. Should you never require post-project diagnostic support, the Extended support fee, if paid, is non-refundable.
- If you do not wish to run the most current versions of your theme, plugins and/or WordPress but wish to have at least one post-project support inquiry/diagnostic covered or want a bit of post-project insurance, you are encouraged to purchase Extended support. Doing this will immediately place your post-project inquiry/diagnostic, should you need one, in our priority response queue as we will then not have to wait on payment to attend to the issue should an issue arise.
- We reserve the right to make the final determination as to whether any changes made to your site invalidate or will invalidate the structure of the optimization work we have already performed;
- We reserve the right to be the sole arbiter of whether or not support is being abused;
- Optimization for websites not fully launched/under development are ineligible for support, free or paid. You have 3 (three) calendar days from the time stamp on your Project Completion email to report any anomalies you believe to be caused by the performance architecture we have implemented; after 3 calendar days, should we choose to attempt to investigate the issue, you will be charged a minimum $100 USD diagnostic fee for us to investigate.
- Any support beyond these things is at our discretion.
By ordering, you are agreeing to this arrangement.
If you purchase our Complete Optimization Service and are showing the full, desktop version of your site to users of mobiles and other high latency devices (like tablets), then yes — it will be as optimized as it can possibly be.
Yes and no. First (prior to even confirming your order), we clone your site and insert it into a testing environment, thereby enabling us to do A/B testing with no potential for disruption to your live website. 95% of the of the performance architecture we devise is done in this testing environment. However, once we feel we have everything dialed-in, we do have to implement the changes on your live website.
From the work we do via the testing environment, no. From the implementation of the changes we need to make to your live site so as to make it as fast as it can be, yes.
Please don’t let this startle you. Disruptions are likely to be very brief; and, far more often than not, will translate to nothing more than your website being slower for a moment. Indeed, your site’s visitors are unlikely to notice them at all even if they are technically happening.
By placing an order you are indicating that you understand that disruptions to your live website are possible; we recommend you pause any ad campaigns you have running while implementation of your website’s new performance architecture is underway.
There are certain (as well as unpredictable) idiosyncrasies of the live environment that either do not exist, or cannot be known to exist, until we implement the changes on the live website.
In other words, a seamless integration of the changes we will make in the testing environment is not possible as some of these changes will need to be ‘tweaked’ in the live environment to achieve the fastest website possible.
With our type of development, the chances are exceedingly slim, but yes. Downtime is possible when you have any sort of development work done for your website.
There are literally billions of variables at play. While the outcomes of most of what we will implement are predictable, some are not. If your website is making use of a poorly coded theme, some questionable plugins, has had shoddy development performed, has a mis- or mal-configured server or file system (etc) this increases the chance of outages.
Fear not. Almost always, a website going down can be immediately remedied and returned to normal. We simply backtrack and reverse the implemented change that was the culprit and/or consult with you about the already extant issue with your site that is the actual root of the problem.
Should downtime occur, you are, in virtue of placing an order, agreeing that our diagnosis, whatever that diagnosis may be, is accurate. You further agree to assist us, should we require assistance, in implementing a solution; and, that your website, or aspects of it, ‘breaking’ does not ipso facto entitle you to a refund.
We also recommend you pause any ad campaigns you have running while implementation of your website’s new performance architecture is underway.
Yes. Making a backup prior to making any changes to your website, or having changes made, is very highly recommend and basic best practices.
Once you have submitted the information requested in the Order Confirmation email sent to you by your Project Manager, we will assume that you have a backup of your website at the ready and that you will be making daily backups over the course of the project in the off chance that it needs to be restored. Should your website need to be restored, you are responsible for implementing the backup.
You are, in virtue of placing an order, agreeing that should you need to implement a backup/restoration that this does not ipso facto entitle you to a refund.
No. Logging into, directly working on, performing troubleshooting for, or modifying your website’s back end in any way is not included in our service.
What you are purchasing is front end optimization, i.e. optimization of the site itself, not the server, the database, etc, which would be back end optimization.
WpFASTER follows best practices and standards set out by WordPress and the Website Performance community. As such, if your developer’s customizations are well coded and following best practices and WordPress standards, no, there won’t be any issues.
If issues do arise, however, you are, in virtue of placing an order, agreeing that our assay of your developer’s contributions, whatever that assay may be, is accurate; and, that our primary recommendation will be to refer you back to your (or another) developer to re-code things such that they are in compliance with the performance architecture we implement/best practices and WordPress standards.
You further agree that – if issues do arise – your website or some aspect of it ‘breaking’ as a result of your developer’s contributions, after having implemented your site’s performance optimization architecture, does not entitle you to a refund.
If assuming this risk bothers you, you should not place the order.
We do, but such projects are automatically ineligible for refund/our guarantee even if we were, through no fault of our own, unable to actually implement your site’s new performance architecture.
Project sites hosted on restrictive hosting platforms (i.e. hosts like WP Engine, FlyWheel, Kinsta etc. that disallow caching plugins, for example) are ineligible for refund/our guarantee primarily because they limit our ability to fully optimize your website or do so in a way that is fine-tuned for your particular website’s needs.
- Such projects are also ineligible for free ongoing support.
- Since WP Engine makes use of MaxCDN, we do not implement CloudFlare.
- All sales are final.
We reserve the right to define “restrictive”. If assuming this risk bothers you, you should not place the order. If you don’t know whether or not you are hosting your site on a restrictive platform, please contact us before placing the order.
For an additional fee of $100 USD we do, but such projects are automatically ineligible for refund/our guarantee even if we were, through no fault of our own, unable to actually implement your site’s new performance architecture.
- Such projects are also ineligible for post-project support, free or Extended.
- If Extended Support is purchased for such projects, that fee will be used to cover the fee for sites that are not fully launched, in development, in a development environment/staging area (etc).
- Enhanced Reporting is generally not possible for sites in this situation (but may be, so please contact us prior to ordering with Enhanced Reporting so we can see if it is possible. If you order Enhanced Reporting without letting us know that you will be developing the site’s front-end or back-end while we work, the Enhanced Reporting fee is non-refundable in the event that Enhanced Reporting is not possible to provide).
- You have 3 (three) calendar days from the time stamp on your Project Completion email to report any anomalies you believe to be caused by the performance architecture we have implemented; after 3 calendar days, should we elect to investigate the issue, you will be charged a minimum $100 USD diagnostic fee for us to investigate. After 3 (three) calendar days from the time stamp on your Project Completion email, we reserve the right to refuse to perform any further work on your project site.
- We offer NO post-project support for issues that may arise if you try to push the changes we make to your development site to your live, production site.
- All sales are final.
Ideally, performance optimization is done when a site is launch-/production ready and/or fully iterated. We very highly recommend you only have us work on your development site if you have someone on staff that is capable of reverse engineering what we do and adept at clarifying any anomalies that may arise if/when attempting to push the site live.
If assuming this risk bothers you, you should not place the order or should have us implement the new performance architecture directly on your live, production site.
It depends, so please contact us prior to ordering so that we can have a look at your network and how you have it set up.
Ads/3rd party resources (things used by your site but not actually served from your server) cannot, themselves, be made faster, no, since we cannot access the server from which they are being served.
But! — making your website and everything actually served from your server as fast as it can possibly be will make ads/3rd party resources begin and therefore end their loading sooner, which gives your site a net performance gain.
Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Eastern Standard Time (no weekends, no U.S national holidays. We are on holiday the entire week after Christmas, so orders placed during this week are addressed after the first of the year).
NOTE: While those are our standard Support/Business hours, your website will never be left in an unstable state.
Basic reporting is pretty much just what it sounds like: We notify you when the project is complete and provide you with a summary of what was done; and, we explain any special instructions that you need to know moving forward.
Enhanced reporting includes all this; plus, detailed before and after metrics for every single resource or asset that makes your site what it is, before and after video, various charts and graphs granularly detailing the improvements made, project notations, recommendations and the like. Every possible thing you could want or need to know about what was done.
- Neither of these modes of reporting includes training on how to do what we do.
- If you want/need before-and-after metrics, you must select Enhanced Reporting when ordering. If you do not select Enhanced Reporting, you are in no way entitled to a refund when before-and-after metrics are not supplied to you. If you do not order Enhanced Reporting, you are taking our word for it as regards improvements and agreeing to do so by placing an order.
- If you order Enhanced Reporting and we are unable to provide you with it through no fault of our own, the Enhanced Reporting fee is non-refundable.
Unless you are subscribed to our Optimization Concierge Services, sorry, no. We are otherwise entirely web-based, which keeps Support staff lean and prices low.
If you’re worried about email responsiveness issues, we assure you — don’t. If you have a question or issue while your project is in process, your Project Manager will respond to your inquiry quickly, usually within moments of your sending the correspondence if the correspondence is critical in nature. Support’s average response time is 1 business hour.
If you would like to learn more about our Optimization Concierge Services, please contact us. Before contacting us, however, please note that our Optimization Concierge Services begin at $1K (USD) per month and require a minimum 6 (six) month commitment, paid in full up-front.
Mutual Non-Disclosure Agreements are almost always fine.
For contracts: It depends on the nature of the contract. If the contract is, in our judgement, purposefully vague, unnecessarily convoluted; or, requires a relinquishing of WpFASTER’s rights as a service provider (or otherwise impedes our ability to perform our best work), it’s not a partnership we would be interested in entering.
For review by the Managing Partner and Legal, please contact us with any contracts you will need signed prior to placing an order .
We are so confident in our Complete WordPress Speed Optimization Service that if we fail to improve your website’s real-world performance you not only get your money back, you get it back 110% (i.e. the purchase price plus 10%). If your project is eligible for refund/our guarantee, you have 3 days (72 hours) from the date and time stamp on the Project Completion email sent to you to request your money back.
If a project is eligible for refund/our guarantee, there are basically two points at which it is:
- Before you receive your Order Confirmation email from your Project Manager;
- After you receive your Project Completion email.
The caveats to this guarantee/refund policy are these and they are non-negotiable:
- If your site is in any way ‘broken’ or suffering some or another development issue at the time the project commences (e.g. rendering issues, incompatibilities, errors and anomalies of any kind, etc);
- You may add pages, posts, products and images, but if you engage in development in any way while your project is in progress (i.e. altering the site’s code base or server), the project is ineligible for refund;
- Special instructions or restrictions to which we must adhere and/or the rejection of a reasonable recommendation we make automatically renders the project ineligible, even if we were, through no fault of our own, ultimately unable to implement your site’s new performance architecture. Under such conditions, all sales are final;
- Please note: By the time you receive your Order Confirmation email your project has already essentially been completed. If you wish to cancel your order at any time after we send your Order Confirmation email, but before you receive your Project Completion email, even if we were, through no fault of our own, unable to implement your site’s new performance architecture, at least 95% of your project’s purchase price will be withheld from refund and in all likelihood 100%;
- You must elect Enhanced Reporting when ordering. Note: If you order Enhanced Reporting and we are unable to provide you with it through no fault of our own, the Enhanced Reporting fee is non-refundable;
- You must opt for Comet Cache Pro and there cannot be anything about your site that breaks it’s functionality;
- You must allow us (and we must be able) to implement (or configure) CloudFlare;
- At the time your project begins, your site must be running the latest version of WordPress with all installed plugins and the theme it is using up to date. Project sites that are not running the latest version of WordPress and/or some installed plugins and/or the theme they are using are not up to date at the time the project begins come with no guarantee, warranty, right to refund or (free) post-project support;
- At the time your project begins, your site must be making use of the latest recommended versions of PHP and MySQL (or Maria DB) as recommended by WordPress;
- If you have some sort of server-side caching schema (e.g. NGINX, Redis, Memcached etc) active, and there is no working means by which to deactivate or properly purge these caches in your WordPress Admin area, we may need you to deactivate or remove these in order for us to implement your site’s new performance architecture. We do not login to servers and therefore will not do this for you. If you are unwilling or unable to remove or deactivate these caches in the event they hinder our ability to implement your site’s new performance architecture, you should not place the order. Unwillingness or inability to remove server-side caching, in the event that it proves problematic, is not grounds for a refund;
- We offer no guarantee for a la carte services;
- Purchases made using a discount code are ineligible, all sales are final;
- Communication: If we send you a correspondence and you do not reply within 30 calendar days or we are unable to complete your project within 30 calendar days of your order date through no fault of our own, your purchase price will be converted into a Project Monitoring and Maintenance fee and you will lose your right to refund even if we have yet to begin implementation of your site’s new performance architecture. At which point, if you would like us to resume your project, you will need to repurchase an optimization package;
- Early Termination: If you cancel your project for any reason after you place your order, a minimum Early Termination/Project Cancellation Fee of $100 (USD) will be assessed.
If assuming any or all of these risks makes you uncomfortable, you should not place the order.
Again, the caveats to our refund policy/guarantee are non-negotiable. As such, if you have any questions about our guarantee/refund policy, please contact us before placing the order.
Please contact us or reply to your project completion email with a description of the issue.
Contact us. We’re happy to help!